Over the weekend I got a stomach bug, for the second time this season. This time the worst part of it only lasted for a day whereas last time it lasted for a solid two.
If you are unlucky enough to have had this bug you know that you are literally stuck in the bathroom all day, unable to keep any food or liquid in your body. I know, not pretty.
By Saturday night Eric was looking up ways to help me with my relentless nausea and came across an amazing article with some really great tips.
Here are some of the remedies that I found to be the most helpful; some I already knew and some were brand new to me:
- Drink small sips of water
- Eat dry crackers in small amounts (I remember this one well from the first three months of pregnancy)
- Drink flat ginger ale
- Place a cool damp cloth on the back of your neck
- Keep you feet elevated higher than the rest of your body
- Activate your sense of touch by tapping your fist against your thigh
I never thought or heard of that last one before, but it really did work. Other ways to activate your sense of touch include the following:
- Pinch your arm
- Bite your lower lip
- Pull your hair
- Dig your fingernail into your forearm
I know some of these things sound a bit weird, which is probably why Eric suggested the thigh one, but the sensation causes you to focus on something other than your nausea and it makes the feeling subside.
There are other great ideas in the article, but these are the only ones that I tried, and I can say they worked.
Were you unlucky enough to catch the stomach bug this year?
Do you have any tried and true nausea remedies?